Monday, August 5, 2019

Ever Faithful: A Vintage National Parks Novel

Ever Faithful: A Vintage National Parks Novel 

Paperback – ebook, audio, audio CD

June 18, 2019

  • Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: WaterBrook 
  • ISBN-13: 978-0735289581

Vibrant historic Yellowstone National Park comes to life in this romantic mystery about a man hiding the truth, braving the west to become something more--and the woman who must confront his deception.

A man who can't read will never amount to anything--or so Nate Webber believes. But he takes a chance to help his family by signing up for the new Civilian Conservation Corps, skirting the truth about certain "requirements." Nate exchanges the harsh Brooklyn streets for the wilds of Yellowstone National Park, curious if the Eden-like wonderland can transform him as well. 

     Elsie Brookes was proud to grow up as a ranger's daughter, but she longs for a future of her own. After four years serving as a maid in the park's hotels, she still hasn't saved enough money for her college tuition. A second job, teaching a crowd of rowdy men in the CCC camp, might be the answer, but when Elsie discovers Nate's secret, it puts his job as camp foreman in jeopardy. Tutoring leads to friendship and romance, until a string of suspicious fires casts a dark shadow over their relationship. Can they find answers before all of their dreams go up in smoke?

My thoughts:  EVER FAITHFUL is the third book in A Vintage National Parks series but it easily stands alone. Fans will want to read the first two books though  -- I am going to look them up, for sure.  EVER FAITHFUL is the first book I've read by Karen Barnett and I loved it.

Years ago, when I was a teenager, a cousin got a job as a tour leader at Yellowstone National Park.  He said he  could get me  on (probably as a pillow puncher) and I was super excited. I've never  been to Yellowstone and so wanted to work there. My dad had issues with his sixteen year old daughter driving or flying solo across the nation (as any good dad would) and wouldn't let me go.  I was kind of  upset at him at the time, but now I wouldn't let my daughter go either now that I'm a mom.  I never did see Yellowstone National Park in person, but I absolutely loved visiting it vicariously through the pages of EVER FAITHFUL,

It was a tad predictable -- though maybe just to me as I put the puzzle pieces together and came up with probable events that if I were the author I'd include. These events actually did make it into the story.  There is a measure of mystery that will keep readers turning pages.

I loved both Elsie and Nate (oh he broke my heart) and even a secondary character or two won my heart.  The writing is fresh and engaging and I will definitely read more books by Karen Barnett and look for her backlist.  Grab your copy of EVER FAITHFUL today. Highly recommended.

I was given a copy free. All opinions are my own.

The series is pictured below.





No comments:

An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of My First ABC Book of Bible Verses

  An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of  My First ABC Book of Bible Verses   It’s never too early to start sharing the big truths of ...