Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Forevermore

Title: FOREVERMORE
Author: Cathy Marie Hake
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
January 2008
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0318-3
Genre: Inspirational/historical romance

Hope Ladley is a traveling housekeeper. She goes where God sends her, helping farmers out as a cook/housekeeper during harvest. When she rides her mule onto the Stauffer farm, Hope is positive that this is where the Lord wants her.

Jakob Stauffer was looking to hire someone to help during harvest and to assist his pregnant sister, and Hope came with glowing references. However, she seemed to have unconventional methods of keeping house. Several times, Jakob comes close to asking her to leave, yet he has to admit that Hope’s sunny disposition is making a difference to his abused sister.

How hard will it be to let Hope go when harvest is over?

Historical novels usually aren’t my favorite for light reading, but FOREVERMORE definitely was an easy read. I started it in the morning, and in spite of numerous breaks to do my housework and work with my five children, I easily finished this book by bedtime. I loved the humor, the quirkiness of the heroine, Hope, although at times I sure her chattiness would have been on my last nerve if I had been really there. All the characters were extremely well developed, and while the setting wasn’t as much a part of the story as others I’ve read, the faith message more than made up for that lack.

FOREVERMORE was laugh out loud funny in spots, and always good for a smile. My only real complaint is that it came to an end, although the story is expertly wrapped up with no loose ends. I loved FOREVERMORE. It is a historical fiction that I can easily recommend. Kudos to Ms. Hake. $13.99. 352 pages.

No comments:

One Wrong Move (Jeopardy Falls)

  One Wrong Move  (Jeopardy Falls)  February 6, 2024 by  Dani Dani Pettrey   (Author) Taunting riddles. A deadly string of heists. Two broke...