Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Oh, Baby!

Title: OH, BABY!
Author: Judy Baer
Publisher: Steeple Hill Café
June 2008
ISBN: 978-0-373-78619-0
Genre: Inspirational/chick lit

Molly MacKenna is every woman’s dream, a birthing coach, she is all about what the woman needs when she gives birth. Her services are popular, and Molly has a dream to make her services, and those of all doulas, more accessible, by opening an office, preferably on the campus of one of the major hospitals. It seemed her dream was within reach until Dr. Clay Reynolds arrives on staff in the Obstetrician ward.

Clay is the grandson of the founding member of the hospital, and seems a throw back to the 1940s. He doesn’t want anyone in the delivery room except the mother to be, the nurses, and himself. Medical midwives and birthing coaches are not welcome. In spite of Molly’s many negative run-ins with Dr. Clay, she has to admire his bedside manner. He is a wonderful doctor, even if he is unkind to nurses, and everyone else who dares cross him.

Is there any hope that Molly will change Clay’s attitude about doulas?

I’ve read and loved all of Judy Baer’s chick lits, and OH, BABY is no exception. I enjoyed reading this fun, quirky story about a woman in an unconventional career, struggling to make her dreams a reality. I wasn’t real sure what a doula was about until I read this story, and Ms. Baer explained it all wonderfully. I used midwives for my children’s births, and they seem to have a lot in common with birthing coaches.

I also loved the messages of hope, and of waiting on God in this book. They really ministered to me as I’m facing a difficult time in my life, of hope deferred, and so OH, BABY was an encouragement to me. While not preachy, God is not a taboo subject in this book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading OH, BABY, and am looking forward by many more stories by this talented author. $6.99. 352 pages.

No comments:

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...