Friday, October 12, 2018

Interview with Liz Johnson about A Sparkle of Silver


Today we welcome Liz Johnson to my blog. Good to have you stop by. Tell us about the book – a brief blurb:

Ninety years ago, Millie Sullivan's great-grandmother was a guest at banker Howard Dawkins' palatial estate on the shore of St. Simons Island, Georgia. Now, Millie plays a 1920s-era guest during tours of the same manor. But when her grandmother suggests that there is a lost diary containing the location of a hidden treasure on the estate, along with the true identity of Millie's great-grandfather, Millie sets out to find the truth of her heritage--and the fortune that might be hers. When security guard Ben Thornton discovers her snooping in the estate's private library, he threatens to have her fired. But her story seems almost too ludicrous to be fiction, and her offer to split the treasure is too tempting to pass up . . .

Do you create playlists for each book, write to the same music all the time, don’t listen to anything?

I listen to music most of the time when I write—especially in public. But it has to be something that I know really well and am very familiar with, so I can enjoy the cadence without getting caught up in the lyrics. For A Sparkle of Silver, I listened to a lot of the Aida Broadway soundtrack and a lot of Brandon Heath.

Where is your favorite place to write? Pictures? 

I have a comfy writing chair in my library, but it’s recently been overrun by moose. But when I clear it out, it’s the perfect writing nook.



Will you complete this opening? “It was a dark and stormy night…” 

And I was curled up on my couch under a blanket reading a good book.

What book you admire do you wish you’d written? 

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is the MOST enchanting book I’ve ever read, and I would have loved to have written it. It’s filled with such fascinating characters and such compassion for others. I adore it and read it every few years just for fun. I really enjoyed the Netflix movie of it too.

How do you find the balance of writing time and family time? 

I don’t have a husband or kids, so I get to be pretty selfish with my time. But I do have a day job and nieces and nephews that I like to see as often as I can. I tend to go in phases where I get to have a social life and then I don’t. When I’m on book deadline, I usually disappear for a couple months, and my family and friends have come to understand and respect my writing cycles.

Share your bio and links for social media and to buy:

Bio: By day Liz Johnson is a marketing manager. She makes time to write late at night—that’s when she thinks best anyway. Liz is the author of more than a dozen novels, a New York Times bestselling novella, and a handful of short stories. Her book, The Red Door Inn, was a Christy Award finalist, and she’s a two-time ACFW Carol Award finalist. She makes her home in Phoenix, Arizona, where she enjoys exploring local music, theater, and doting on her nieces and nephews. She writes stories of true love filled with heart, humor, and happily ever afters.


Social:
Instagram & Twitter: @LizJohnsonBooks





No comments:

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...