Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Researching Dreams Deferred by June Foster


Dreams Deferred is likely the most exciting book, for me that is, that I've ever written. It is inspired by real life people who just happen to be my great grandmother and great grandfather.

Father Francis Matthew Halbedl was the oldest boy in his Austrian Catholic family in the late 1800's and was expected to go into the priesthood. After becoming ordained, he was transferred to the state of Louisiana in the United States and assigned to a local parish. Something he probably never expected happened and sent his life in a whole new direction. Father Matthew fell in love with a young lady in the congregation who eventually became my great grandmother.

I often tell people my great grandfather was a Catholic priest, and they sometimes get a suspicious look, but Father Matthew's moral standards were high. When the time was right, he resigned the priesthood, and he and Mary Louise Grosse were married.

The first step I took in researching the book was learning more about Father Matthew and Mary Louise Grosse. My daughter had done a bit of research on Ancestries.com and shared her information with me.

Since I'm not of the Catholic faith, I had to do quite a bit of research on the religion. One valuable resource was my husband's sister, Helen, who is a practicing Catholic. She graciously and patiently answered all my questions as well read over my first draft to check for accuracy of information.

My husband, who practiced the faith as a young person, also spoke about what he recollected from his boyhood days. These days, however, we attend Northbrook Baptist Church in Cullman, Alabama.

I wanted to use portions of the words of the mass when Father Matt was carrying out his priestly duties. I found a copy on line but wasn't sure how much I could use without permission. I discovered I could quote 5000 words and under, about the same as the Bible.

In my hometown we have a beautiful Catholic Church in the center of the city—Sacred Heart. I was able to tour the church and take pictures. Too, I visited the parochial school attached to the church. The principal graciously showed us around, and the pastor, Father Patrick Egan, greeted us in the sanctuary. In writing my scenes in my fictional church, St. Aloysius, I could accurately visualize the inside of the church. By the way, my husband's middle name is Aloysius, and he attended St. Aloysius in Bessemer, Alabama as a boy.

The secretary at Sacred Heart also answered my questions about catechism classes for children.
I found the answers to the other million questions I had on line including the name of a Catholic bookstore in the city of San Antonio, Texas, where the story is set.

I hope you'll get a chance to read my novel. There are likely few others on the same subject in which the story is written with discretion and maintains godly standards. Though Father Matt violates his vows of chastity, neither he or the heroine, Mary Louise, commit an immoral sin. I believe Catholics and Protestants both can enjoy this work of fiction inspired by a true story.

Blurb


Frances Matthew Hall is obedient to family tradition: all firstborn sons will serve as a priest. Now Matt officiates at St. Aloysius Catholic Church in San Antonio, Texas. But when on Easter Sunday, he notices a beautiful young woman who takes his breath away, he must fight against his attraction to her or leave the priesthood and alienate his entire family.

Mary Louise Graham is a middle school teacher and devout catholic. Yet no amount of service to the community can ease the heavy load of guilt she carries. God can never forgive her unspeakable mistake. But when Father Matt tells her about a forgiving God through His son Jesus Christ, she's free. Only thing, the Godly priest now means more to her than he should.
Can two people find their way to each other amidst insurmountable obstacles? Dreams Deferred is inspired by the author's great grandfather and great grandmother's story.

Short blurb:

Father Matt Hall wants to serve the Lord. School teacher Mary Louise Graham needs freedom from her unforgivable past. They never expect to fall in love.


Additional blurb:

Father Matthew Hall is a young Catholic priest who wants to serve the Lord. His passion is ministering to at-risk teens through an afterschool program in which he'd teach them the joy of music. Unfortunately the pastor doesn't believe he's ready for such a project.

Mary Louise Graham is a young school teacher who carried a heavy load of guilt. After Father Matt leads her to the One who can forgive her sins, she finds the godly priest means more to her than he should.

The story is inspired by the true story of my great grandfather and great grandmother.


About June Foster

June Foster is an award-winning author who began her writing career in an RV roaming around the USA with her husband, Joe. She brags about visiting a location before it becomes the setting in her next contemporary romance or romantic suspense. June's characters find themselves in precarious circumstances where only God can offer redemption and ultimately freedom. To date June has seen publication of 19 novels and 1 devotional. Find June at junefoster.com.





3 comments:

Alicia Haney said...

Wow, I have not read your book yet and I already love it!! Awesome and you wrote this love story about your grandma and your grandpa, how neat is that. I am a Catholic and I taught catechism for a lot of years, I still teach it to my grandchildren at home. I really love the cover and like I said I already love, love your story , thank you so very much for the blurbs. God Bless you June Foster for your beautiful mind.

June Foster said...


Alicia, thanks for stopping by Laura's blog. In the story, Mary Louise teaches catechism classes as well. I believe Catholics and protestants can enjoy the story. I'd love for you to read it and let me know what you think from the perspective of a Catholic. Blessings, June

June Foster said...

Laura, thanks so much for having me on your blog. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. My husband and I just left Tuesday for an RV trip. You might know he got sick the first day. Anyway, the Lord is seeing us through.

Where Am I? God, Help Me! #Devotional by Becky Van Vleet

  “Ah, Lord  God ! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for...