Sunday, February 16, 2020

It’s Very Sparkly by B J Bassett



The wall was jasper, the color of Glory, and the City was pure gold, translucent as glass. Revelation 21:19

I recently watched an interview with Taya Kyle, the widow of Chris Kyle, the US Navy SEAL whose story was portrayed in the film American Sniper. During the interview, Taya shared how Chris talks to her from heaven.As a widow myself, I could relate to her experience.

The morning after my husband Ed entered heaven, I felt his presence in our bedroom, so I asked, “Ed, is that you?” The answer came. “Who else would it be?” Later, I relayed my experience to my children. “Would Dad say that?”

All four of our children looked at me with smiles. “Of course he would,” they agreed.

Another time, I said, “Ed, you haven’t talked to me lately.” The answer came. “I’ve been very busy.”

When I shared his comment with a friend, she replied, “Isn’t it nice that after all those months of being idle, he’s now busy.”

Her statement blessed my heart. Suffering from Parkinson’s disease Ed’s activities had eroded away. He no longer could work in the garden, take walks, prepare yummy meals, and play board games, shop, shave, even bath himself. His career had been in management, so I visualized him carrying a clipboard around in heaven as God’s right-hand man.

What I savor most is when he told me that heaven is sparkly. Then he added, “You’re going to love it.”

Being married for over 60 years to my best friend, Ed knew me better than anyone. He said I’m going to love heaven, and his words bring me peace and comfort until I get to heaven, that sparkly place that I’m going to love.

Father, thank You for a glimpse of heaven through Your Word and the description from one of Your saints. Amen.



B. J. Bassett encourages others as an author, teacher and speaker. Her books include a contemporary novel, Gillian’s Heart; a historical novel Lily; Sweet Charity; A Touch of Grace—The G.R.A.C.E. Ministries Story; and coauthor of a children’s devotional My Time with God, Focus on the Family, Heritage Builders, with over 55,000 copies sold.


As a contributing writer, publications consist of Writer’s Handbook 2000, The Writer, and The Focus on the Family Guide to Growing a Healthy Home, Wolgemuth & Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.—consistently on Bookstore Journal’s Best-selling Christian Books List from November 1990 - February 1991, and voted the 10 Best Books for 1990 by Today’s Christian Woman.

Magazines, devotional booklets, curriculum and newspaper publishers include Focus on the Family, Woman’s World, The Quiet Hour, Pathways to God, Devotions, Harcourt Brace, WordAction, Gospel Publishing and Times Standard (newspaper).


She teaches writing workshops at Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, OR and at writer’s conferences. As a speaker for Stonecroft Ministries, she tells her story of rejection and acceptance, not only in life, but as a writer as well. She also offers book talks, including discussion questions and shares the journey -- from the seed of an idea to a published book.

Memberships: ACFW and Oregon Christian Writers (OCW).

She enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, munching warm scones oozing with butter and strawberry jam and sipping earl grey tea.












6 comments:

HeidiDruKortman said...

Lovely images, Bunny. Sometimes I imagine my mother doing cartwheels.

Julie Arduini said...

So comforting! My dad retired as the Super of the Highway Department and I am certain he is whistling away cleaning the streets of gold.

Kathleen Friesen said...

Oh, Bunny, I love this! I often wish I could hear a message from my mother, and your interaction with Ed is a true blessing. Thanks for sharing.

Marilyn R. said...

Beautiful glimpse of what will be ours when we cross over Jordan. Thank you for sharing. B.J.

B. J. Bassett said...

Laura, thank you for posting. Once again you've blessed my heart.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...