Sunday, July 14, 2024

Do I Really Have Dominion? #devotional by Sharon Musgrove

 

“Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.  And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.’”

Genesis 1:26 ESV

 

In the summertime, when all of nature seems to be alive and playing, being outdoors is a delight to me!  Sunshine knocks early on the door, inviting me to join in the extra warmth and merriment. Not bothering with shoes, I wander out, entertained by all sorts of flutter-bys, bumbles, and various other creeping things. 

Playing in the dirt was my childhood pastime, and residing in suburban areas of the Pacific Northwest, poisonous creatures were not a worry.  I was insatiably curious of how the “underworld” worked in its most rudimentary ways.  With jar in hand, I captured whatever creature was slow enough to get caught and studied its behavior up close. 

So recently, when I reread the creation story and came upon this verse that instructs humanity to have dominion over the things of the earth, my mind easily brought up that little girl with a fist full of ladybugs and a bucket load of tadpoles.  But what I hadn’t seen in the text before was now highlighted, as if under a magnifying glass, that double use of the word...creep.

(Note: writers of the Bible often used repetition as a way of emphasizing significance as we might currently use italics or bold font.)

The first twenty-five verses of Genesis 1 read like a pattern in their reiteration of God creating, calling it good, and then calling it a day.  But in Genesis 1:26, that format is broken with a collaboration of the Godhead in the making of mankind.  Here God sets an intention for humanity, discussing not just who They are cultivating, but giving people purpose.

“...let them have dominion....”

Additionally, the Creator doubles down on the descriptor of humanity’s dominion in saying,

“...over every creeping thing that creeps....”

The Bible tells us that God gave mankind the ability and the responsibility to rule over all the creatures roaming the earth, sky and sea.  But then He accentuates the rein over things that creep.  Why this emphasis?  Because the creepiest of creepers, Satan himself, shows right up in Genesis 3, being...well...creepy.

“Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made.” Genesis 3:1 (ESV)

Have you ever wondered how Adam and Eve could be so unconcerned that a snake was conversing with them?  As an adult I have found that disturbing, but I doubt I would have as a child.  Likely I’d have been curious and delighted.  After all, I was one to play with the creatures I found wriggling through the grass!  When the earth is our playground and God has given us complete latitude, why would we worry about a creeping thing?

As a child of God, this question why do I worry? still compels an honest answer.

God’s Word in Genesis is the answer to today’s worry:  Jesus became a man to defeat Satan...that creeping thing that creeps.  And to reestablish the order He began, giving us the same power.

When we accept Christ as our King, we need not worry about things that could hurt us.  We become as children, having full faith in the protection of our Lord and living unafraid.  In this, we take back the confidence of having dominion over even the creepiest things. 

As Christ said to his disciples,

“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation.  But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (ESV)

Today, as I engage the great outdoors, I don’t play with snakes, and I expect to be bitten by critters wanting a taste of me.  I am not innocent to the dangers that lurk.  But as I go through my day, I know that Christ is with me, and that no matter what evil may come, I have overcome.

This same peace in Jesus is for you.

 

 Author Bio:

 


Sharon has been writing and teaching biblically based curriculum, Bible studies, and devotionals since 2007.    

 

She has had the unique position of writing curriculum and teaching for two private, Christ-based, residential recovery programs. Both programs primarily served women in the homeless community.

 

Sharon has traveled multiple times to Kenya, serving on medical teams and teaching in the rural Maasai communities. She’s been privileged to speak in Leadership camps intended on encouraging and empowering the impoverished, underprivileged, and often abused young women.

 

Within these ministries, Sharon has witnessed the transformative power of loving words spoken to the broken-hearted. Sharing God’s love and witnessing its transformative power has become her passion.

 

Sharon and her husband, divide their time between Oregon and Hawaii. They have two grown children. 

 

Currently, Sharon is encouraging others via her inspirational blog, but prefers sharing face to face. Additionally, she is working towards a degree in Ministry. 

 

~*~

Connect with Sharon:

Website: Sharonmusgrove.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Sharon-Musgrove-Untethered-102208978041060

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sharonmusgrove_untethered/

 

 

 

No comments:

Deadly Revenge: (Small Town Suspense Thriller Cold Case with Second Chance and Friends to More Romance) by Patricia Bradley

  be sure to preorder your copy now. Deadly Revenge:  (Small Town Suspense Thriller Cold Case with Second Chance and Friends to More Romance...