Sunday, July 28, 2024

The Lord’s Name By Sharon Musgrove #Devotional

 

The Lord’s Name

By Sharon Musgrove

 

“But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.”  Isaiah 43:1 ESV

“’At that time I will bring you in, Yes, at the time I gather you together; for I will make you a name and a praise among all the peoples of the earth, when I restore your fortunes [and freedom] before your eyes,’ says the Lord.”  Zephaniah 3:20 AMP

 

When I married, I took my husband’s last name for my own.  It was a time when it was becoming common for women to either keep their maiden names or to hyphenate the two names.  Personally, I was happy to take on the new name feeling like it was a fresh start to life.  I had no idea.

My life as a “Musgrove” has not been anything like what I expected, while at the same time has contained most of the things I had hoped for.  Planning on duties like cooking, finances, household chores and eventually parenting, I looked forward to all the things I’d do.  The unanticipated challenge was changing from being an individual to a partner.  The growth curve was in prioritizing someone else (my spouse) and something else (the marriage) over myself. 

There were other significant changes to becoming Musgrove.  My husband’s family was firmly rooted in business in our community and had an established reputation. To behave rashly could tarnish not only my reputation but would affect the family and business.  No one sat me down to explain what I was getting into.  No one told me that marriage required improvement to my character.  However, my love for my husband and his family was motivation enough to rise to higher standards.  And it’s been a blessing.

We have a God who desires to call us by His name.  He loves us with a deep love that is incomprehensible.  His love is such that He chose the ultimate self-sacrifice to be unified with us, His bride. 

Unlike the counseling I received before marrying my husband, God explains to us exactly what we’re getting into when we partner with Him.  Deuteronomy chapter 28 goes to great lengths to spell out the benefits to taking the Lord’s name.  It tells of His blessings in the city and the field (vs 3), in finances and family (vs 4), in coming and going (vs 6), and (my favorite) in basket and kneading bowl (vs 5)!  He even defeats our enemies (vs 7).  Now that is some list of pros!

In return God asks for a pure heart.  He created a list in Exodus 20 that includes His requirement to be first (vs 3).  Stipulating that we desist in creating other objects of devotion (vs 4).  He necessitates not taking His name flippantly (7).  And requests that we rest in His provision (vs 8).  We don’t fully understand these marital vows as long as we’re in a single-person mindset. 

Gratefully, marriage has taught me a greater understanding of what God is desiring of me and what He offers. Taking the Musgrove name, I no longer seek out other men for love, only looking to my husband.  I do not keep photos of my old boyfriends around.  I am committed to this one man.  To continue to behave as single while bearing the name Musgrove would be to dishonor my marriage and my spouse.

To take the Lord’s name, to be His, is a gift.  It frees us from the search for identity.  There’s no longer a need to strive for purpose and meaning because we take on God’s family business.  He provides, we accept.  Our character matures within the relationship.  Sole proprietorship becomes partnership.  Lone becomes family. 

Our Creator makes a sweet offer I recommend you accept.  Saying yes to God’s proposal will change you completely, requiring a steep learning curve, but having the Lord’s name will bless you beyond anything you can be alone!


Author Bio:

 


Sharon has been writing and teaching biblically based curriculum, Bible studies, and devotionals since 2007.    

 

She has had the unique position of writing curriculum and teaching for two private, Christ-based, residential recovery programs. Both programs primarily served women in the homeless community.

 

Sharon has traveled multiple times to Kenya, serving on medical teams and teaching in the rural Maasai communities. She’s been privileged to speak in Leadership camps intended on encouraging and empowering the impoverished, underprivileged, and often abused young women.

 

Within these ministries, Sharon has witnessed the transformative power of loving words spoken to the broken-hearted. Sharing God’s love and witnessing its transformative power has become her passion.

 

Sharon and her husband, divide their time between Oregon and Hawaii. They have two grown children. 

 

Currently, Sharon is encouraging others via her inspirational blog, but prefers sharing face to face. Additionally, she is working towards a degree in Ministry. 

 

~*~

Connect with Sharon:

Website: Sharonmusgrove.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Sharon-Musgrove-Untethered-102208978041060

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sharonmusgrove_untethered/

 

 


No comments:

Welcome to the Legacy of Hope Celebration Tour! #giveaway

  About the Book Book:  Legacy of Hope Author:  Renae Brumbaugh Green Genre:  Christian Historical Romance Release date:  September 3, 2024 ...