Monday, April 8, 2019

He’s the Love of my Life by B J Bassett


He’s the Love of my Life

      
      I fell in love in 1955. I was a teenager at the time. If you’ve ever been in love, you know how I felt. I couldn’t eat. I wanted to spend every minute with him. Just thinking about him made me tingle all over, and become more giddy than usual. Deep down I knew he was the only person who loved me completely, even with my zits and lazy right eye.

            He’s so patient, kind, and gentle. He’s stronger than anyone I’ve ever known and he never loses his cool. During my youth I’d gaze at his picture often. His hair was longer than the trend of the fifties. It didn’t matter to me, but it did to my parents. They weren’t happy with my new relationship and hoped it was a fad that would run its course and eventually pass. It didn’t.

Where We Met

            My family moved a lot and when I was 15 I attended a little neighborhood church. Everyone welcomed me and it wasn’t long before I became active in the youth group and made some lifetime friends.

            It wasn’t love at first sight. I’d know him and grew to love him over time. Actually I knew his father before I met him. I attended Sunday school when I was a child and every week I completed my lessons by looking up Bible verses and filling in the blanks with the correct words.

            That’s where I met him, in that little church. He has not only been with me during the happy times, but also through disappointments, frustrations, decisions, losses and the routines of everyday life.

Disappointment

            My first devastating disappointment came when I was a high school senior. I’d applied to the Christian college I wanted to attend. The day I tore open the letter telling me that I wasn’t accepted, he was beside me, comforting me. He waited until I was ready and guided me in a new direction.

            The following year was one of the happiest times. He held my hand on my wedding day. Other highlights came with the birth of my children. He held my hand and reassured me through the painful hours of labor. As he gazed at me with those eyes full of compassion, I knew the temporary pain was worth the end result.

            When my husband and I lost our business and we filed for bankruptcy, it was like a death. Yet even then he never left me, but helped me get back on my feet.

I Walked Away

            More recently I was in a serious car accident. I saw a car pull out in front of me on the highway and knew I had no time to stop. To avoid killing the driver, I braked with all my might and swerved to the left. He slammed into the passenger side of my car. After impact, I thought this is bad.But it was only the beginning. My car flipped up in the air. I’m not going to survive this.I was ready to meet my Maker. I felt his loving arms holding me inside my car as it rolled and rolled and rolled.

            I don’t know why God let me walk away from that horrific accident without a scratch. I believe I’m one of His present-day miracles. Awestruck witnesses gaped as they watched me walk away. “God’s not finished with me yet,” I said as they marveled at what they had just witnessed. With tears in his eyes, the young man who caused the accident approached and said how sorry he was. When I asked him if he knew Jesus he said, “Yes . . . and I think I’m going to know him even better now.” Maybe that’s the reason God saved me—to be a witness.

            For 59 years God has blessed me with a loving relationship with His Son, Jesus. Wherever I am He’s with me. Together we talk, walk, work, play and rest. Over these many years He has comforted, directed, protected and provided for me and my loved ones, even giving me the desires of my heart. He’s the love of my life.

Originally published in “The War Cry”



B. J. Bassett encourages others as an author, teacher and speaker. Her books include a contemporary novel, Gillian’s Heart; a historical novel Lily; A Touch of Grace—The G.R.A.C.E. Ministries Story; and coauthor of a children’s devotional My Time with God, Focus on the Family, Heritage Builders, with over 55,000 copies sold.

As a contributing writer, publications consist of Writer’s Handbook 2000, The Writer, andThe Focus on the Family Guide to Growing a Healthy Home, Wolgemuth & Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.—consistently on Bookstore Journal’s Best-selling Christian Books List from November 1990 - February 1991, and voted the 10 Best Books for 1990 by Today’s Christian Woman.

Magazines, devotional booklets, curriculum and newspaper publishers include Focus on the FamilyWoman’s WorldThe Quiet HourPathways to GodDevotions, Harcourt Brace, WordAction, Gospel Publishing and Times Standard (newspaper).

She teaches writing workshops at Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, OR and at writer’s conferences. As a speaker for Stonecroft Ministries, she tells her story of rejection and acceptance, not only in life, but as a writer as well. She also offers book talks, including discussion questions and shares the journey—from the seed of an idea to a published book.

Memberships: ACFW and Oregon Christian Writers (OCW).

She enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, munching warm scones oozing with butter and strawberry jam and sipping earl grey tea.

A native Californian, she lives with her husband of 60 years in Roseburg, Oregon.

Contact Info:
B J Bassett



Twitter: B J Bassett@bassett106


Lily Book Blurb:

California, 1900—nestled in the foothills of the northern California coast, the town of Laurel Springs is home to high-spirited Lily Blair, the daughter of Rev. William Blair. Lily delights in being spoiled by her grandmother and father, and even though she lost her mother to childbirth, she glories in life itself and continuously pushes the bonds of propriety.

Having her every whim indulged as a child leads to a tough road as an adult. Lily falls in love with James Conti and wants to marry him, but James heads off to fight in the Great War, leaving Lily alone and heartbroken. When her father wants to send her off to boarding school, Lily makes yet another rash decision and marries a man she does not love.

In the ensuing years, Lily endures hardship and loss, a sharp detour from the pampered existence she once enjoyed. Yet as Lily struggles to cope with these unexpected changes, she discovers just how powerful God’s love and forgiveness can be. But will it be enough to get her through the darkest days yet to come?

Lily is an emotional story that celebrates the strength of the human spirit.


***
















5 comments:

Marie Bast said...

Love, excitement, scary times, and romance that's the kind of stuff books are made of. You have an exciting novel right there. Wow, you've been through a lot. Thank you so much for sharing. Love your writing and look forward to seeing your devotional published.

Linda Hoover said...

Thank you for sharing. What an incredible testimony of God's direction and protection on our lives.

B. J. Bassett said...

Thank you Laura. I love sharing about the love of my life.

Marilyn R. said...

B.J., thank you for sharng your beautiful love story. I had tears time I was finished. You need to write a book or novella about your deep love relationship during the good and bad times. Blessings.

Kathleen said...

What a beautiful love story! Thank you for sharing your testimony, Bunny. You touched my heart.
Thank you, Laura, for featuring Bunny on your blog. Many blessings to you both!

An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of My First ABC Book of Bible Verses

  An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of  My First ABC Book of Bible Verses   It’s never too early to start sharing the big truths of ...