Sunday, July 21, 2019

Mighty Things by Heidi Dru Kortman



Text: Psalm 118:13-16.
“I was pushed back and about to fall, but the Lord helped me. The Lord has become my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: ‘The Lord’s right hand has done mighty things! The Lord’s right hand is lifted high; the Lord’s right hand has done mighty things!’ “

These are triumphant verses, and as people with mobility handicaps, we can claim them as our own. Because cerebral palsy has an effect on my sense of balance, it is common for me to move in a wobbly fashion. On many occasions, I have indeed fallen flat. However, there are also times that I remember because I stayed on my feet. In each of those, it was not skill on my part at all.

Another way to be “pushed back” is by emotions and attitudes. When we have difficulties in relationships, or unmet goals, it is easy to become gloomy or depressed. God’s active grace lifts us back and strengthens our trust, and we can begin again.

How often does this describe us: “Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous?” I rather like the image of my body as a tent. Tents are flimsy, wobbly, unpredictable, and temporary—above all, temporary. But thanks to God’s astounding generous gift of Jesus and his resurrection, we will eventually “trade in” these tent bodies for resurrection bodies, completely capable. We will also have permanent homes in God’s presence. These things should make constant songs in our hearts.

Today is the day to tell everyone the mighty things God has done for each one of us. If we have been living in a “handicapped tent” since we were born, we have things to teach the people whose handicaps came later in their lives. All Christians are meant to build each other into a church where Christ will live. Perhaps the things we know are the things the church and world need most right now.



Heidi Dru Kortman DTM
God's gifts and call are irrevocable.




Heidi Dru Kortman, a CWG Apprentice graduate, ACFW member since 2004, and Word Weaver member has published devotionals in various newsletters, and a collected volume of devotionals. Her poetry, flash fiction, and short stories have appeared in small magazines, and a website. She is applying herself to the task of writing smoothly polished fiction.



5 comments:

Marie Bast said...

Thank you, Heidi, for sharing. You are such an inspiration and give such encouragement it is always a joy to read your devotions. Blessings.

Kathleen said...

Thank you, Laura and Heidi. You are right, Heidi, that weakness may be physical or emotional. I've experienced both and really appreciate your encouraging and compassionate words.

HeidiDruKortman said...

Thank you, Marie and Kathleen. Thank you also, Laura, for being willing to host a post from me.

Marilyn R. said...

Heidi, thank you for your uplifting word. Yes, as Christians we need to build one another up and those around us that are suffering. God bless

Julie Arduini said...

Laura, I'm so glad others are able to read Heidi's wise thoughts as she shares on your blog. This is so encouraging.

An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of My First ABC Book of Bible Verses

  An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of  My First ABC Book of Bible Verses   It’s never too early to start sharing the big truths of ...