Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Wish

The Wish 

Paperback, ebook, hardcover, audio

 September 6, 2016

by Beverly Lewis

  • Paperback: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Bethany House Publishers 
  • ISBN-13: 978-0764212499

A Compelling Story of Friendship from the Top Author in Amish Fiction

Leona Speicher got the "sister" she'd always dreamed of the day Gloria Gingerich and her family moved to Lancaster County Amish farmland. The Arkansas newcomers seem to be everything a devout Plain family should be, and Leona can't help comparing Gloria's engaging young parents to her own.

Leona's cousin shows a romantic interest in Gloria around the same time as Gloria's older brother expresses his fondness for Leona--it seems likely the two young women will marry into each other's families, remaining close friends for life. Thus, Leona is shocked when the Gingeriches suddenly pack up and disappear after being expelled from the church for reasons no one will discuss. Despite Leona's pleas, Gloria goes with them, leaving more than one broken heart behind.

When Gloria unexpectedly contacts Leona after a silence of several years, Leona makes up her mind to persuade her friend to return to Lancaster County and the Amish ways. Leona's fiancé, the deacon's son, is alarmed when Leona decides to go after Gloria. Will Leona's dearest wish lead to her own undoing?


My thoughts: First, the disclaimer. "I was provided a free paperback copy of this book. All opinions are my own." That done, as with most readers of Amish fiction I was introduced to Beverly Lewis by her first books and  I fell in love. I couldn't wait for the newest Beverly Lewis books to hit the shelves. 

THE WISH is a stand-alone women's fiction Amish story. There is no plot, the story is told and not shown and I felt distant from the characters, and worse, I didn't care what happened to them! 

The intro - above - says that Beverly Lewis is the top Amish author, I suggest that Ms. Lewis has lost her title. There are so many better Amish authors out there. I won't name names because if I do, they will be MY favorites, and there are Amish authors out there that are fan-favorites and I won't read their books. But if you tried THE WISH and didn't like it, don't give up on the genre. Try another author. However, if you love Beverly Lewis and women's fiction set in Amish country, then give THE WISH a try.  Don't take my word for it because you opinion is the one that matters. 

1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

I was disappointed with The Wish by Bevely Lewis. I'm like you there are some amazing Amish authors. I'll let you guess you one of my very top favorite is. :)

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...