Tuesday, September 17, 2019

September Interview with Susan Fischer



Today we welcome Susan Fischer to my blog. Thanks for stopping by Susan. Tell us about the book – a brief blurb:

Intelligent and shy, Elaine “Lainey” MacDonald escaped an abusive relationship and is starting a new life as a paralegal, working in her dream law firm in Florida. When she is invited to a ballroom dance class, she meets ranch foreman and former rodeo star, Allan Whitfield. He wants to go out with Lainey, but can she conquer the secret fear that still haunts her? Persistent and charming, Allan thinks he has overcome his past failures. But would Lainey want to be with him if his own family doesn’t?

           

Do you create playlists for each book, write to the same music all the time, don’t listen to anything?

Having been an attorney in my previous life, I’m accustomed to writing without music. It helps me concentrate and stay focused on the story. In my free time, the “Soundscapes” music feed from my internet/TV provider is my favorite for relaxation, but I also enjoy dancing to the oldies. Who doesn’t?

Where is your favorite place to write? Pictures?

The window above my desk overlooks the seventeenth fairway of a golf course with water hazards, which mean lovely lakes for the rest of us. I’ve seen all kinds of Florida wildlife from those windows: sandhill cranes, herons, squirrels, turtles, deer, and Florida panthers. Seeing golfers swinging their best to the hole makes me glad I’ve chosen to spend my free time writing, since I was not a very good golfer anyway.

Will complete this opening? “It was a dark and stormy night…”

            It was a dark and stormy night as Lainey MacDonald drove home from working late at the Law Office of Lauren Miller Gonzalez. The rain blew horizontally in sheets as she used the “cat’s eyes” built into the roads in Florida to stay in her lane. She squinted in order to make out the sign for her apartment complex and cautiously made a right turn through the pool of water blocking the entrance. “Please don’t die on me,” she whispered. Looking in the rear-view mirror, a shadowy figure in a black hoodie emerged from a car that just pulled in. (To find out what happens, order Dancing with a Cowboy on Amazon.com.)
           

What book do you admire do you wish you’d written?

The Great Gatsby. Fitzgerald’s writing is like poetry to me, his characters are amazing, and the plot of this love story keeps you in suspense. If I’m allowed one more book, I’d choose Delia Owens’ Where the Crawdads Sing. Again, her writing is also very poetic about coupled with a story about survival and society.

How do you find the balance of writing time and family time?

I’m fortunate to be retired, balancing my time between volunteer ministries at my church and writing. But the Lord comes first. After I’ve prepared for Bible Study, have my talk written for the church service I lead at a retirement center, and organized my work with the homeless, the Lord helps me out by giving me the words He wants me to write.

Share your bio and links for social media and to buy:

Susan Fischer is an author, Christian Mediator, and a speaker with several ministries. She leads a worship service at a local retirement center and is active in the Peacemaking Ministry, Inner Healing Prayer Ministry, leads a Bible Study group, and is a member of the Order of the Daughters of the King. She has a Juris Doctor degree from Detroit College of Law and has practiced Personal Injury Law in Michigan and Florida for over 30 years. She has a son and daughter in law, and lives in Bradenton, Florida, near a dance studio and her favorite beach.



Website:  Susanfischer.org

Email: info@susanfischer.org

Facebook:  Susanfischerbooks

Twitter: @susanfischer






2 comments:

Marilyn R. said...

It's always nice to meet a new author through an interview. Thank you.

Gerry said...

Susan truly captures the gift of faith in her writings as her characters confront life. Inspiring reading!

While the City Sleeps (Women of Midtown)

  While the City Sleeps  (Women of Midtown)  February 13, 2024 by  Elizabeth Camden   (Author) Amid the hushed city, two hearts must navigat...